- University of California, Berkeley, Ph.D. in Integrative Biology (2016-)
- University of Arizona, M.S. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (2012-2015)
- University of Illinois, B.S. in Integrative Biology (2009)
- University of Oregon, Research Assistant (2010-2012)
- Field Museum of Natural History, Research Assistant (2010)
Under renovation -- coming soon!
Selected for PeerJ Picks 2014
- Morlon, H*, TK O'Connor*, JA Bryant, LK Charkoudian, KM Docherty, E Jones, SW Kembel, JL Green, and BJM Bohannan. 2015. The biogeography of putative microbial antibiotic production. PLoS ONE doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0130659 (* indicates equal contribution)
- O'Connor, TK*, PT Humphrey*, RT Lapoint, NK Whiteman, and PM O'Grady. 2014. Microbial interactions in the ecology and evolution of Hawaiian Drosophilidae. Frontiers in Microbiology 5:616. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2014.00616.
- Kembel, SW, TK O'Connor, HK Arnold, SP Hubbell, SJ Wright, and JL Green. 2014. Relationships between phyllosphere bacterial communities and plant functional traits in a neotropical forest. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 111:13715–13720.
- Meadow, JF, AE Altrichter, SW Kembel, TK O'Connor, GZ Brown, JL Green, and BJM Bohannan. 2014. Bacterial communities on classroom surfaces vary with human contact. Microbiome 2:7. doi:10.1186/2049-2618-2-7.
- Kembel, SW, JF Meadow, TK O'Connor, G Mhuireach, D Northcutt, J Kline, M Moriyama, GZ Brown, BJM Bohannan, and JL Green. 2014. Architectural design drives the biogeography of indoor bacterial communities. PLOS ONE doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0087093
- Meadow, JF, AC Bateman, KM Herkert*, TK O'Connor, and JL Green. 2013. Significant changes in the skin microbiome mediated by the sport of roller derby. PeerJ 1:e53. doi:10.7717/peerj.53 (* indicates mentored undergraduate)
Selected for PeerJ Picks 2014
- Meadow, JF, AE Altrichter, SW Kembel, J Kline, G Mhuireach, M Moriyama, D Northcutt, TK O'Connor, AM Womack, GZ Brown, JL Green, and BJM Bohannan. 2013. Indoor airborne bacterial communities are influenced by ventilation, occupancy, and outdoor air source. Indoor Air doi:10.1111/ina.12047
- O'Connor, TK, CK Starr, and SA Cameron. 2011. The Neotropical social wasp Mischocyttarus alfkenii Ducke (Hymenoptera: Vespidae) is a pair of ethospecies. Systematic Entomology 35:446-452 (result of undergraduate thesis).
- Hines, HM, JH Hunt, TK O'Connor, JJ Gillespie, and SA Cameron. 2007. Multigene phylogeny reveals eusociality evolved twice in vespid wasps. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 104:3295-3299.
- O'Connor, TK. (In preparation). Host plant polyploidy determines distribution and diversity of galling insects in North American deserts.
- Lapoint, RT, AD Gloss, S Ayala, A Castillo, J Charbonneau, AC Nelson Dittrich, B Goldman-Huertas, SC Groen, PT Humphrey, JAH Koop, D LaRoche, P Nabity, AG Schissler, TK O’Connor, and NK Whiteman. (In preparation). Fly genomes reveal evolutionary origins of herbivory.
Honors and Awards
- 2016 - Southwestern Association of Naturalists Howard McCarley Research Grant
- 2016 - Orthopterists' Society Theodore J. Cohn Research Grant
- 2016 - American Museum of Natural History Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Grant
- 2015 - University of Arizona Graduate and Professional Student Council Travel Grant
- 2015 - University of Arizona Graduate and Professional Student Council Research Grant
- 2014 - Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology Grant-in-Aid of Research
- 2014 - Society for the Study of Evolution Rosemary Grant Award
- 2014 - Mycological Society of America Clark T. Rogerson Student Research Award
- 2014 - University of Arizona College of Science Galileo Circle Scholarship
- 2012 - NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
- 2012 - NSF IGERT Fellowship in Comparative Genomics
- Arizona Native Plant Society, Tucson Chapter. March 2015.
- Population and Evolutionary Genetics. UC Berkeley, Spring 2017
- Ecology, Evolution, and Organismal Biology. UC Berkeley, Fall 2016